Tuesday, June 01, 2004

wisdom from South Park

I never thought I would find such a pertinent and poignant piece of wisdom in a cable show... much less South Park. I guess I underestimated the show.
And what was this gem, you ask?
Well, I'll tell you...
(and not in song.)
It goes like this, in short form.
1. Wendy dumps Stan.
2. Stan acts depressed in classic movie form (walks in rain, doesn't talk, weeps quietly under street light, etc.)
3. Stan joins goths. Acts depressed in classic goth form (dresses in black, smokes, writes bleeding darkness emptied soul poetry, etc.)
4. Butters falls in love with girl from Raisins (which is a sick joke by itself, may rant on this later)
5. Butters gets dumped by girl from Raisins.
6. Butters acts depressed in classic movie form (see above.)
7. Stan and goth crew come across Butters weeping under streetlight in the rain.

And they have a conversation.

Stan (et al) ask Butters about how he feels (how bad does it suck, how empty is his soul, how far is the light, etc. etc.)
And Butters tells them that yeah, it hurts a lot.
But that it's not the end of the world. He explains that somehow the extreme depth of his pain makes him feel more alive, because of the intensity of the feeling. That he knows that he can feel this bad because he has felt so good before.

Wow.
I had thought about this before. But it had never ever occured to me that South Park, of all situations, would explore this concept.

I am glad to be reminded, though. Even if it was South Park.