Tuesday, June 15, 2004

girl talk

watch out, guys. girl talk.

I love talking with the Goat. She is so cool, kind of punk rock feminism hiding out in the quiet urban world, waiting to "disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed". (that's what the sticker on the dash of Soda says. Soda is her car.)
Any way. She and I have these conversations sometimes about the world, and what it is to be a girl in it. I haven't yet discussed this topic with her, but I'm sure it will come up soon.

So.
Why is it that we, as women, feel it necessary to sneak around as much as possible to try and hide the fact that we are having our periods? Now, I'm not talking about standing up and announcing "I'm gonna go change my pad/tampon now" while waving your various neccessary articles. I agree with the little black bag theory, I have one myself, but I find myself trying to hide even that sometimes. I have decided that this is an unneccesary action. A discreet action is fine, but trying to act like it's not what is happening is ridiculous. I should not feel embarrased that this is happening, or that other people are seeing me leave my work station to go deal with this part of my life. In turn, they should not be embarrassed about seeing me go. This really should be a non-issue, not a source of stress for anyone. It simply is a thing that is, kind of the way that men adjust themselves simply is a thing that is. Every one is probably aware of the action, but it is not mentioned at any time. It simply is.

I am incredibly lucky in the fact that I have Luigi, who is interested in knowing what is happening to me and how it works and affects me. He usually is more aware of my timing than I am, and tends to be at least two steps ahead of me, prepared for my outrageous behaviour before I get there. And he is always understanding and patient when I am my most girly and pathetic. But he doesn't hold it over me, as if it were a true failing of mine instead of a side effect.

Ok. That's my commenting for the day...
I'll think of something less... exciting... for tommorrow.