Saturday, June 19, 2004

summer

I love summer.
I love warm weather, the way the air feels, the fact that I can swim in an outdoor pool;
I love the sound of the birds in the day, the insects at night;
I love the fresh fruit that is available: watermelon, peach, nectarine, cherry;
I love the thunderstorms, I love driving with the windows down;
I love the green trees and the grass;
I love bees and butterflies and toads in the garden;
I love barbecue and the smell of honeysuckle;
I love fireflies and the smell of warm concrete in the evening, just after the sun has gone down;
I love wearing sandals and shorts;
I love the rose garden in Woodward Park in the moonlight;
I love popsicles and rootbeer floats on the porch;
I love lying in the shade of a beautiful tree, where the grass is still warm;
I love playing in the park with friends until the sun goes down, and feeling the night breeze come up;
I love watching my favorite childhood movies while lying on the floor after I've been for a good swim;
I love the way streetlights look when seen through the filter of dense green leaves;
I love hearing one lone bird awake in the quietest part of the night;
I love the way the air smells after a gentle rain, and I love the way that rain sounds;
I love the visiting waterfowl, and turtles that sun on floating logs;
o, my friends, I love summer.


all things green, all things warm, gentle rain and furious storms;
fresh fruit, insect sounds, migratory birds;
silky breezes, satin water, sunsets that man can neither duplicate nor describe;
food and friends and lazy days;
sight, sound, smell, taste, feel;
there is nothing like summer.