Friday, May 21, 2004

ducking the blogstapo

ok, ok. I know it's been a few days. almost a week. whatever. things happen, you will just have to be patient...

ok. so the party was great, had a good time, it was soooo very good to have people over to enjoy themselves. The lack of furniture did not stop the festivities, since a lot of us have no problem with the floor, and some of us prefer to stand in most circumstances. It was great. Looking forward with excitement to the next time I can do it.

since it has been a while, and I forget things easily, i worte down some topics while at work.

so, let's pick one or two.




as of today, May the 21st, it is 70 days to my birthday! This means that it is also 800 days until I turn (dumdumdumdum...) 30!!! (oooooooh....) so weird. For the longest time, I never felt like I really was the age I was. But recently, I think that my perception and reality are merging. I finally feel like I am the age I am, that I recognize myself in the mirror for the first time in a long time, if not ever. That was such an interesting experience, to look in the mirror and feel that my face and voice finally matched, and that I was living in the right body. No, not living in the right body -- that I was settled in the right body. That my body finally fit the part that was me. Kind of like when you move, and you finally get the furniture settled into place: that *click* that happens when things are where they should be, for optimum function and comfort. Does this make sense?

******************************************************

I can't think of how to ask you if you've ever had this experience without first relating the tale, so here goes...

There's this guy I work with. (We'll call him Rider, until I can get a better nickname = He rides a motorcycle unless the weather is bad) Anyway, I talk to him a lot at work, think he's great, consider him a friend type person. And people who know me, know how I feel about people that gain that status. I'm a Loving Heart (yes, as a title -- ask me later & I'll tell you) and tender hearted to boot. So last night (yesterday morning, it was 6:00 A.M.) Luigi and I are watching the local news, and there is a report of a man who was riding a motorcycle and died when he tried to exit the highway too fast. It was Hw 75 (which is the one that goes right past work) and it happened at about 3:00 (which is right when he gets out). so you see my concern. there were a couple of things that made me pretty sure it wasn't him:
1. the guy died when his head hit the curb; no helmet. Rider *always* wears his helmet. But still, he could have decided this once to enjoy the wind in his hair, right? It only takes once, as they say...
2. the accident happened on Northbound 75, exiting to 56th st north. we work at 76th st north, he lives near Foyil (which is north of work) so he had no business being there. Again, however. I don't know everything about him or his life, there could easily have been a reason for him to have gone south to do something and have just been on his way home.
3. the guy laid the bike down because he was going too fast to take the turn. Rider does love to go fast fast, *BUT* he is aware of the dangers that he is subjecting himself to by using this mode of transportation.
and since the name is not being released, I have no way of knowing for certain if it is him or not.

you see my difficulty?

I thought about calling his house, but he lives with this parents right now, and they do not answer the phone, they let the machine get it. and if it was him, I didn't want to A) talk to them in this moment and B)possibly be the one to tell them about it, since I am sure they would want to know why I am calling looking for him and him not being home.
I just told myself "it wasn't him. he wears his helmet. he had no reason to be there. he knows better. he doesn't ride like that." so on, and so on. So we went to bed. When I left for work, Luigi asked me to call him and let him know if Rider was there or not. I drove to work, that cold sour feeling in the bottom of my belly. I thought about how I would react if he wasn't there, if they told me it had been him, if he really was dead.
When I got to work, I took a deep breath and went in.
I thought about it all again as I walked through the plant. and as I rounded the corner, I looked up.
and there in the break area, sitting at a table, looking at (I don't remember, it's not important...) is Rider.
I was so relieved.
I walked to the table, and he looked up, a bit surprised, as I put my stuff down and sat next to him, and gave him one of those sitting-next-to-you hugs -- you know, the sideways ones.

When I let go, he said "what was that all about?"
I told him.
He kind of grinned and said "well, sorry to disappoint you."

Silly ass.

I called Luigi at the first opportunity and told him, and he was relieved as well. I kind of think that his relief was more because I was not emotionally hurt than because Rider was all right, but that was there too. We do like this guy. As a matter of fact, he plans to move in with Dr. Nick, as soon as the current roommate vacates - and Rider can get his stuff together and get there. Good for all, y'know?

**********************************************

ok. does this satisfy the blogstapo for now?

hope so.

BTW -- Bunny, send me more info on HaloScan, please... I do want to be accomodating to all, and if the comments are a pain in the ass, well then - they must change.

remind me to tell you about my idea for grownup art camp.

Later.